Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rob's Interview in a Greek Magazine - Scans and Translation



This era’s icon

What is it that makes millions of girls scream at every appearance of 23 year old Robert Pattinson? It is a reasonable male question, isn’t it?

In Harry Potter he went almost unnoticed. His potential to become an idol started showing with his lead role in “Twilight”. The second movie of the series, “New Moon”, has just come out making the biggest opening of all time with $72.7 million the first week end worldwide, and a 300,000 tickets opening week end in Greece.

The fascination associated with Pattinson now is many times bigger than the one associated with DiCaprio after the “Titanic”. So, there rises the inevitable question: What kind of icons are the ones needed in these times?

This is a guy who is much less of a rebel than the stars of the previous decades. He is clearly milder, more romantic and devoted to the one he falls in love with-in addi­tion to that, he is obediently loyal to her. He seems to be some thing like that in real life as well. He doesn’t take advantage of his celebrity status, collecting female hearts. Not up until now, at least. According to magazines, he is the new, more sophisticated version of a popstar, going around with a book in his hand and choosing to play the piano instead of football. Girls swear that he has an underground charm, a mystery that comes from an inherent reservedness and the appear­ance of an indifferent, disheveled charmer.

The point is not for how long this kid will remain on the top of the “hot” list, but that every era has the icons it needs to find its balance.

(This was a little article in the first pages of the issue. I found it quite interesting and the Dean picture is quite suggesting. There was also an article exploring the Twilight phenomenon before the interview as well but it was nothing new.)


Interview


Q: How uncomfortable is it, being called the new Leonardo diCaprio?

A: I think it’s not fair, especially to him. He was nominated for an Oscar when he was eleven years old or something .I don’t consider myself to be his successor.

Q: Your face is now in every teenage girl’s room. How do you feel as a teenage idol?
A: It’s interesting. I never thought I would cause such reactions to peo­ple. I never thought that pale skin can be considered so sexy. But it’s funny. When I was in school, no one expected some thing like that from me. However, some years later, everything changed.

Q: Can you still walk on the street like a normal person though? You could become the victim of hoards of young girls.
A: Not really. Things change very fast in the big cities. When you’re in a restaurant, it makes sense for people to gather outside. On the other hand, it depends on how much you’re interested in something like that.

Q: You have a real passion for music. You also wrote a song for the first movie’s soundtrack. Have you left your music endeavors behind you or is there still room for rock music in your heart?
A: I’ve started play ing a little bit more now. During the shooting of the third movie I wrote some songs. I don’t know if I’m going to do some­thing with them.

Q: You have a band, if I’m not mistaken?
A: Not anymore. I used to have a band when I was fifteen. But music remains very important for me. I just don’t want to release an album now because it will be like Edward Cullen’s new album.

Q: So, is acting more important for you?
A: It is as important as music, but it is dangerous to give myself to both at the same time. I think it’s better to focus on one or the other.

Q: Is it annoying being confused with your character, Edward Cullen?
A: You just have to wait and see how people will take you. If people still see me as Edward Cullen in 25 years, I think I might have to murder someone.

Q: How’s the ideal date for you?
A: I have no idea. I’m not at all good at dating.

Q: Don’t you go out on dates in England, like in America?
A: We don’t “go out on dates” in England. If you go out with a girl once, then she’s your girlfriend. Otherwise, you’re a womanizer.

Q: So you’re monogamous?
A: Yes, one girl at a time!!!

Q: Many reviewers have said that Stephanie Meyer’s books are nothing more than a metaphor for sexual repression. Do you agree with that interpretation?
A: There is a meaning to the story, even without trying to find the hid­den metaphors. I didn’t even know S. Meyer was a Mormon and it didn’t affect me at all when I learnt that.

Q: What are your favorite vampire movies?
A: I’ve always liked “Blade”.

Q: How about Jack Nicholson in Wolf?
A: Jack Nicholson in general. He is the reason I wanted to be an actor.

Q: How does it feel being in the company of other established stars?
A: The truth is that stars don’t particularly impress me. But I meet them when I go to talk shows. That’s when I get nervous because I try to be funny and smart at the same time. I try to find the right joke for the right moment and, damn, that’s not even my job.

Q: Do you ever dream of vampires?
A: No. And to be honest I rarely dream at all. It’s annoying.

Q: Together with Kristen Stewart you share the luck of having become famous with just one movie. How much have you bonded with her because of that?
A: It’s wonderful knowing that you’re working with people that are at the beginning of their career as well, covering the same distance. We are all at a very crucial point in our lives. I think we will never forget the days of Twilight.

Q: Are you at all excited with all the new fame you have gained?
A: Some times you give interviews and you’re so tired answering the same questions over again and saying different stuff. I gave 2 inter­views recently to 2 magazines and when I read them one after the other they made me look like some one who wants to kill himself. I don’t know. It will probably take me a lot of time to realize what has hap­pened to me.

(The interviewer was Sian Edwards for The Interview People- it doesn’t say when it was taken. Even in Greek, some things seemed kind of off… Like, he wasn’t answer­ing exactly the question asked and that is probably a translation problem.)


Scans and Translation by Paranolia

Via Thinking Of Rob

4 comments:

Érica Fortes said...

23 anos? :o pensei que fosse mais velho!

Laura Collazos B. said...

Una gran entrevista
Sin duda tenia que ser de Robert Pattinson (L)

Anonymous said...

Exacto, todas las entrevistas de el son fascinantes, su mente es un mundo aparte jeje

Unknown said...

I am from Brasil, Santa Catarina,
Please, oh Jesus Cristh, protected Rob, to all bad peoples, and give to
one life , peace and love fay of to day...
Because I have god energy to Rob...
solange - Brazil